Thursday and Friday, 24 and 25 May 2007
A Word of Welcome
Warm greetings from the Asian Law Institute (ASLI) and the Faculty of Law, University of Indonesia (Fakultas Hukum Universitas Indonesia, FHUI). We are happy to inform you that ASLI and FHUI are organizing ASLI’s annual conference in Indonesia, on 24 and 25 May 2007. We warmly invite you and your colleagues to submit papers for presentation at the conference. Please read on for details.
The Asian Law Institute (ASLI)
The establishment of ASLI in March 2003, stems from the recognition that the diversity of legal traditions in Asia creates an imperative for Asian legal scholars to foster greater engagement with each other through collaborative research and teaching. ASLI aims to facilitate academic exchanges as well as research and teaching collaboration among law schools in Asia.
The thirteen founding institutions are:
- Faculty of Law, Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand)
- East China University of Politics and Law (Shanghai, People’s Republic of China)
- Faculty of Law, University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong SAR, People’s Republic of China)
- Faculty of Law, University of Indonesia (Jakarta, Indonesia)
- Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Laws, International Islamic University Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- Faculty of Law, Kyushu University (Fukuoka, Japan)
- Faculty of Law, University of Malaya (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
- National Law School of India University (Bangalore, India)
- Faculty of Law, National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- College of Law, National Taiwan University (Taipei, Chinese Taipei)
- Peking University Law School, Peking University (Beijing, People’s Republic of China)
- College of Law, University of the Philippines (Manila, the Philippines)
- College of Law, Seoul National University (Seoul, Republic of Korea)
The 4th ASLI Conference 2007
One of ASLI’s principal activities is the convening of an annual academic conference to be hosted by its founding member institutions on a rotation basis. Each conference will examine contemporary legal issues of interest to Asian countries and will gather scholars and experts from the founding member institutions as well as from Asia and beyond.
The 4th Conference will bear the theme “Voices from Asia for a Just and Equitable World”. It will be held at the Faculty of Law, University of Indonesia (FHUI) in Jakarta, Indonesia, on Thursday and Friday, 24 and 25 May 2007.
All legal scholars are invited to attend and present papers whether they are from an ASLI founding member or from other institutions, and whether they come from within or outside Asia. Contributors are invited to submit papers on any of the tentative panel topics. However, ASLI would especially like to receive papers which are relevant to the conference theme.
The conference is also open to all whether or not they present a paper. The conference provides excellent opportunities for scholars in Asian law from around the world to meet and exchange ideas and to form closer working and personal relationships.
Please click to find our registration form, tentative panel sessions and programme. The registration form contains information such as the submission of paper abstracts, conference fees, hotel reservations, etc. We regret that no subsidies are available for expenditures such as air flights, hotel charges and conference fees. A detailed and finalized programme (speaker panels, etc.) will be made available to all registered participants nearer the date of the conference.
We would very much appreciate your help in bringing this conference to the attention of your faculty/law school colleagues, as well as to anyone whom you think might be interested in attending, whether as a paper presenter or otherwise.
For enquiries regarding the conference, please contact the ASLI Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to contact the organizing committee urgently at FHUI, you can reach them at email@example.com
Important Facts at a Glance
- Conference Dates: Thursday and Friday, 25 and 26 May 2007
- Venue: Faculty of Law, University of Indonesia, Depok, Indonesia
- Language of Presentation: English
- Deadline for Submission of Abstract: 15 January 2007
- Deadline for Submission of Paper: 31 March 2007
- Closing date for Registration and Payment: 31 March 2007
Please direct all enquiries to:
The ASLI Secretariat
Telephone: 65) 6516 1305
Facsimile: (65) 6779 0979
All matters regarding the conference are centrally administered at the ASLI Secretariat at the address above. There is no need to contact the organizing committee at the University of Indonesia directly as the Secretariat will be in constant communication with the committee. If, however, at the last minute close to the conference date, you urgently need to contact someone at the University of Indonesia, you may contact the organizing committee in addition to the
Faculty of Law, University of Indonesia
Telephone: (62-21) 786 3442
Facsimile: (62-21) 727 0052